Water Contamination for Farm Workers

Do you need clean and safe water? Well, farm worker communities in Santa Maria and the Salinas Valley do too, yet their water is being polluted and contaminated by unsustainable agricultural practices. Most of the water pollution and contamination in the entire 300-mile central coast region from Santa Barbara to Santa Cruz is concentrated in Santa Maria and Salinas Valley.

That’s 20 percent of the population having to bare the burden of polluted and contaminated water for the remaining 80 percent. Making the inequity further unjust, Santa Maria and the communities in the Salinas Valley are between 75 percent to 100 percent Latino, compared to 41 percent Latino for the central coast region as a whole. The water contamination problem in Santa Maria and the Salinas Valley is a matter of grave environmental human rights abuse.

CAUSE, in partnership with the Environmental Justice Water Coalition, Clean Water Action California and the Monterey Coastkeeper is advocating on behalf of environmental human rights before the California Central Coast Regional Water Quality Board urging them to adopt an Ag Waiver to address the severe water pollution and contamination.

Take action for environmental human rights of farmworker communities! Write letters to the Central Coast Regional Water Quality Board in support of the staff proposed Ag Waiver. Attend the March 15, 2012 Central Coast Regional Water Quality Board meeting in San Luis Obispo. For more information contact Maricela Morales at maricela@coastalalliance.com.

Take Action

img

Support CAUSE

img

Stay Informed

img

CAUSE on Facebook

img

CAUSE on Twitter