Founded in 2001, CAUSE's mission is to build grassroots power to advance social, economic and environmental justice for the people of the Ventura and Santa Barbara counties region through policy research, leadership development, organizing, and advocacy.
CAUSE is currently seeking a Communications Manager responsible for communicating messages and framing across both traditional and digital media to build CAUSE’s public visibility and advance our organizing campaigns. The Communications Manager will act as the central coordinator of CAUSE’s website, email, and social media channels. The Communications Manager will also work closely with CAUSE’s team of six Policy Advocates to develop traditional and digital media content, including supporting persuasive writing, graphic design, and video production. CAUSE’s communications strategies support our Community Organizers who lead our organizing campaigns on issues including affordable housing, farmworker rights, and environmental justice. This position can be based out of any of CAUSE’s offices including Oxnard, Ventura, Santa Paula, Santa Barbara, or Santa Maria.
The Policy Advocate’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing CAUSE’s website including design and content updates
- Writing and designing regular mass emails to CAUSE’s list, including analyzing data on open and click rates
- Coordination of CAUSE’s social media calendar and working with local Policy Advocates in each city to develop and post social media content
- Supporting local Policy Advocates in each city with the development of press advisories, press releases, op-eds, organizing press conferences, and preparation for media interviews
- Building relationships with statewide and national reporters and pitching major stories
- Helping with, reviewing, and approving graphic design of flyers, posters, infographics, fact sheets, etc. to support CAUSE organizers
- Shooting, editing, and production of video content
- Working with CAUSE’s Donor Relations Manager to regularly update and maintain our CRM database
- Working with local partner organizations and state and national coalitions on behalf of CAUSE
- Participating in some grassroots fundraising and occasional grant writing and reporting
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent required
- At least 3 years of employment experience in communications supporting social, economic, and environmental justice advocacy required
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for social, economic and/or environmental justice
- Strong written and verbal communications skills including large-group public speaking and formal writing for publication
- Experience with using Microsoft Office computer programs (Word, Powerpoint, Publisher, and Excel) as well as web-based Google applications (Gmail, Google Docs)
- Multimedia skills such as graphic design and video production, preferably using the Adobe suite of programs
- Familiarity with managing and editing basic websites, preferably Wordpress and/or Drupal
- Familiarity with CRM platforms, preferably CiviCRM
- Experience with and desire to work with diverse cultures and the ability to engage people from a variety of backgrounds
- Experience building relationships with news reporters and conducting print, radio, and TV interviews
- Strategic and analytical approach to political issues
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to set own work priorities, manage responsibilities and time
- Flexibility and willingness to sometimes work evenings and weekends, and be able to travel throughout region, state and nation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Valid drivers’ license and dependable access to a car to drive for work required.
This position has flexible hours and may often include evening and weekend work. CAUSE has a hybrid remote/office work arrangement (3 days in office, 2 from home).
Starting pay for this full-time position is $66,560. Benefits include 100% paid medical and dental coverage including dependents, paid sick and mental health days, holidays and flexible paid vacation days in addition to typically two week paid annual holiday shutdown, annual retirement contribution, monthly stipend for use of cellphone and travel, and professional development opportunities.
The deadline to apply is Friday, September 30th. Please e-mail your resume with a cover letter to Lucas Zucker at [email protected].
CAUSE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN AND PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.