Santa Maria Policy Advocate
Founded in 2001, CAUSE's mission is to build grassroots power to advance social, economic and environmental justice for the people of the Ventura and Santa Barbara counties region through policy research, leadership development, organizing, and advocacy.
CAUSE is currently seeking a Santa Maria Policy Advocate responsible for analyzing and advocating for local, state, and federal policies and programs and communicating messages using traditional and digital media. The Santa Maria Policy Advocate will focus on the city of Santa Maria, where CAUSE is organizing around farmworker rights and environmental justice issues. The Policy Advocate will work closely with CAUSE’s organizing team to provide them with policy analysis and communications support for organizing campaigns around local social, economic, and environmental justice issues. The position will be based in our Santa Maria office.
The Policy Advocate’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing research and policy support for CAUSE organizers’ campaign needs
- Analyzing policy issues and working with policymakers, reporters, and community allies to advance social, economic, and environmental justice in government programs and legislation
- Producing written and multimedia content for CAUSE’s online presence including mass emails, webpages, social media posts, etc.
- Graphic design of flyers, posters, infographics, fact sheets, etc. to support CAUSE organizers
- Writing press advisories, press releases, and op-eds; organizing press conferences and working with local reporters to increase regional media coverage of social, economic, and environmental justice issues
- Assisting CAUSE staff and grassroots leaders with preparation for media interviews and speaking in public forums
- Translating complex policy documents into accessible presentations, fact sheets, and trainings for CAUSE grassroots leaders and community members
- Working with local partner organizations and state and national coalitions on behalf of CAUSE
- Participating in some grassroots fundraising and occasional grant writing and reporting
- Bilingual in English and Spanish required at a level of proficiency to translate policy documents and be interviewed by Spanish-language media
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent required
- Prior employment and/or intern experience including policy analysis and advocacy around social, economic, and environmental justice issues preferred
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for social, economic and/or environmental justice
- Strong written and verbal communications skills including large-group public speaking and formal writing for publication
- Experience with using Microsoft Office computer programs (Word, Powerpoint, Publisher, and Excel) as well as web-based Google applications (Gmail, Google Docs)
- Multimedia skills such as graphic design and video production a plus
- Familiarity with accessing public databases such as Census data a plus
- Familiarity with managing and editing basic websites a plus
- Experience with and desire to work with diverse cultures and the ability to engage people from a variety of backgrounds
- Ability to interact professionally with elected officials, donors, board members, leaders of ally organizations, and news reporters
- Strategic and analytical approach to political issues
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to set own work priorities, manage responsibilities and time
- Flexibility and willingness to sometimes work long hours and weekends, and be able to travel throughout region, state and nation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Valid drivers’ license and dependable access to a car to drive for work required.
This position has flexible hours and may often include evening and weekend work. CAUSE has a hybrid remote/office work arrangement (3 days in office, 2 from home).
Starting pay for this full-time temporary hourly position is $24/hour (estimated $49,920 annual). Benefits include 100% paid medical and dental coverage including dependents, paid sick and mental health days, holidays and flexible paid vacation days in addition to typically two week paid annual holiday shutdown, annual retirement contribution, monthly stipend for use of cellphone and travel, and professional development opportunities.
CAUSE will be accepting resumes through Friday, July 8th. Please e-mail resumes with cover letter to Lucia Marquez at [email protected]
CAUSE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN AND PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.