Senior Policy Advocate
CAUSE is a base-building organization committed to social, economic, and environmental justice for working-class and immigrant communities in California’s Central Coast. We build grassroots power through community organizing, leadership development, coalition building, civic engagement, policy research, and advocacy. CAUSE envisions a thriving Central Coast that provides a sustainable and just economy created by and for workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
CAUSE is currently seeking a Senior Policy Advocate responsible for analyzing and advocating for local, state, and federal policies and programs and communicating messages using traditional and digital media. The Senior Policy Advocate will focus on environmental justice issues related to agricultural pesticides and labor issues related to improving the wages and working conditions of farmworkers in the city of Santa Maria. The Senior Policy Advocate will work closely with CAUSE’s organizing team in Santa Maria to provide them with policy analysis and communications support for organizing campaigns around local social, economic, and environmental justice issues in the city of Santa Maria. Senior Policy Advocates supervise one Santa Maria Policy Advocate in addition to their policy and communications campaign work and carrying out organizational management responsibilities as part of the CAUSE senior staff team. The position will be supervised by one of CAUSE’s Co-Executive Directors.
The Senior Policy Advocate position responsibilities include, and are not limited to:
Policy analysis and advocacy, local coalition building, and digital and news media communications for the Santa Maria city team:
Providing research and policy support for CAUSE organizers’ campaign needs
Analyzing policy issues and working with policymakers, reporters, and community allies to advance social, economic, and environmental justice in government programs and legislation
Building relationships with local elected officials, state legislative offices, and public agency staff to influence policymaking
Producing written and multimedia content for CAUSE’s online presence including mass emails, webpages, social media posts, etc.
Graphic design of flyers, posters, infographics, fact sheets, etc. to support CAUSE organizers
Writing press advisories, press releases, and op-eds; organizing press conferences and working with local reporters to increase regional media coverage of social, economic, and environmental justice issues
Participating in some meetings with CAUSE’s grassroots base and supporting organizing events in Santa Maria
Assisting CAUSE staff and grassroots leaders with preparation for media interviews and speaking in public forums
Translating complex policy documents into accessible presentations, fact sheets, and trainings for CAUSE grassroots leaders and community members
Accessing data and producing research reports on policy issues
Working with local partner organizations and state and national coalitions on behalf of CAUSE
Participating in some grassroots fundraising and occasional grant writing and reporting
Supervising one Policy Advocate:
Membership in weekly Senior Staff Team meetings to coordinate plans for the upcoming week with other supervisors and ensure strong collaboration between Policy Team and Organizing Team
Meeting with the Policy Advocate(s) they supervise on a weekly basis to assign work, set priorities, their workplan for the week and report back on progress from the previous week
Giving regular direction and feedback on the Policy Advocate’s work and conducting the annual formal performance evaluation
Providing training, guidance, and support for the Policy Advocate(s) as needed on their work priorities and job skills
- Spanish fluency strongly preferred
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent required
- 2+ years experience in policy analysis and advocacy around social, economic, and environmental justice issues
- Some experience with supervision a plus, including supervision of interns, temporary or part-time staff, and informal mentorship
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for social, economic and/or environmental justice
- Strong written and verbal communications skills including large-group public speaking and formal writing for publication
- Experience with using Microsoft Office computer programs (Word, Powerpoint, and Excel) as well as web-based Google applications (Gmail, Google Docs)
- Multimedia skills including graphic design and video production
- Familiarity with accessing public databases such as Census data
- Familiarity with managing and editing basic websites
- Experience with and desire to work with diverse cultures and the ability to engage people from a variety of backgrounds
- Ability to interact professionally with elected officials, donors, board members, leaders of ally organizations, and news reporters
- Strategic and analytical approach to political issues
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to set own work priorities, manage responsibilities and time
- Flexibility and willingness to sometimes work evenings and weekends, and be able to travel throughout region, state and nation
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Valid drivers’ license and dependable access to a car to drive for work required.
This position has flexible hours and may include evening and weekend work. CAUSE has a hybrid remote/office work arrangement (3 days in office, 2 from home).
Starting salary for this full-time exempt position is $66,560 per year. Benefits include 100% paid medical and dental coverage including dependents, paid sick and mental health days, holidays and flexible paid vacation days in addition to typical two week paid annual holiday shutdown, paid family leave, annual retirement contribution, monthly stipend for use of cellphone and travel, and professional development opportunities.
To ensure pay equity across our team, salaries at CAUSE follow a formula based on position and tenure and are non-negotiable for individual candidates. However, we have a fixed salary scale providing additional pay for candidates with years of relevant job experience significantly beyond the minimum qualifications listed in this job description.
CAUSE will be accepting resumes through Friday, February 22nd. Please e-mail resumes with cover letter to Lucas Zucker at [email protected].
CAUSE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN AND PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.