CAUSE is a base-building organization committed to social, economic, and environmental justice for working-class and immigrant communities in California’s Central Coast. We build grassroots power through community organizing, leadership development, coalition building, civic engagement, policy research, and advocacy. CAUSE envisions a thriving Central Coast that provides a sustainable and just economy created by and for workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
CAUSE is currently seeking a Ventura Community Organizer responsible for developing grassroots community leaders and coordinating their leadership in organizing city-based social, economic, and environmental justice issue campaigns. The position will be supervised by an Associate Organizing Director and will work directly with a team of six other organizers. The position will be based in our office in downtown Ventura working with Spanish-speaking adult immigrants with a focus on tenants’ rights and youth of color with a focus on environmental justice, primarily on the Westside of Ventura.
The Ventura Community Organizer’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Building a base of CAUSE grassroots leaders among working-class immigrant families in Ventura, by:
- Recruiting community members through tabling, door to door canvassing, and presentations.
- Building strong organizing relationships through one-on-one personal visits with grassroots community leaders
- Conducting house-meeting campaigns including personal visits to recruit immigrant adult Spanish-speakers in Ventura to become grassroots community leaders involved with CAUSE
- Recruiting local youth through class presentations and on-campus meetings at local high schools in Ventura to become grassroots community leaders involved with CAUSE
- Developing and growing two committees, with a goal of 30 Ventura residents and a core of 15 leaders in each, one composed primarily of Spanish-speaking immigrant adults and the other composed primarily of youth of color.
- Facilitating biweekly meetings with the grassroots committee to develop and coordinate community organizing and advocacy campaigns around issues in Ventura
- Promoting information to the community through WhatsApp, Facebook live videos, and Spanish-language radio
- Working with grassroots leaders to develop their political education, leadership skills such as speaking to news reporters and elected officials, facilitating meetings to coordinate strategic campaigns, and doing outreach and organizing to mobilize their communities
- Working in support of other CAUSE campaigns as part of Organizing Team
- Recruiting and training grassroots leaders to volunteer on get-out-the-vote efforts including door-to-door canvassing and phonebanking during elections
- Interacting with donors and involving grassroots leaders in fundraising
- Translating documents between English and Spanish and providing interpretation during meetings and community events
- Linking neighborhood-based issues with regional, state and national issues
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) and bicultural competency required
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent preferred
- Prior employment and/or intern experience with transferable skills to that of a Community Organizer preferred
- Prior employment and/or intern experience within Latinx immigrant communities preferred
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for social, economic and/or environmental justice
- Experience with and desire to work with diverse cultures and the ability to engage people from a variety of backgrounds on a one-on-one basis or group format
- Ability to interact professionally with elected officials, donors, board members, leaders of ally organizations, and news reporters
- Strategic and analytical approach to political issues
- Prior volunteer, employment and/or intern experience with electoral work preferred
- Strong written and verbal skills including large group presentations and public speaking
- Experience with using common office computer programs (Microsoft Word, Publisher and Excel) as well as web-based Google applications (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Hangout)
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to set own work priorities, manage responsibilities and time
- Flexibility and willingness to work long hours and weekends, and be able to travel throughout region, state and nation
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Valid drivers’ license and dependable access to a car to drive for work required.
This is an hourly position with a typical 40-hour work week. This position has flexible hours and may often include evening and weekend work in order to engage community members. CAUSE has a hybrid remote/office work arrangement (3 days in office, 2 from home).
Starting pay for this full-time hourly position is $25/hour (estimated $52,000 annual). Benefits include 100% paid medical and dental coverage including dependents, paid sick and mental health days, holidays and flexible paid vacation days in addition to typical two week paid annual holiday shutdown, paid family leave, annual retirement contribution, monthly stipend for use of cellphone and travel, and professional development opportunities. This position is represented by a staff union under a collective bargaining contract with IAM Local 947.
To ensure pay equity across our team, salaries at CAUSE follow a formula based on position and tenure and are non-negotiable for individual candidates. However, we have a fixed salary scale providing additional pay for candidates with years of relevant job experience significantly beyond the minimum qualifications listed in this job description.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The interview process will include a formal interview with senior staff and an interview with CAUSE grassroots leaders. Please e-mail resumes with cover letter to Ken Fujimoto at [email protected].
CAUSE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN AND PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.